Friday, January 22, 2010

The Odd Couples

Ever wonder how some couples get together? Of course, who hasn't? Well, let me just tell ya, it's no different in the Wild ,Wild West. Although some might want to place me in the category of "odd relationships," we're not talking about me right now, ok? We're gonna talk about everyone else! Let's start with one of my favorite couples, Mexican Ken and Malibu Barbie. Get the picture?
Well, Mexican Ken has the usual get-up on (hat, boots, belt, etc). Whatever it was about him that Malibu Barbie found attractive, worked. These love birds met, yes, at Club Malibu, one of the hottest Mexican dance clubs on the mule line (that would be the 14 Mission bus). Ken had been going there solo for some time. He'd dance with various women, I guess, hoping to meet Malibu Barbie. Well, as a miracle unfolding before my very eyes, one night a couple of (don't tell anyone) hoochie mama's walked in. At first I wasn't quite sure if they were real women or drag queens (sometimes the drag queens like to flutter around there and actually get lucky with some real drunk guys-ha, ha, ha. But, that's another story). In and out and round about the hoochie mama's went. Who caught whose eye, I can't really say. But there I was sittin' one night and in come Mexican Ken and Malibu Barbie. Ken, proudly (and not to mention stiffly and methodically-that's why he's named Ken, Mexican though he may be) parades Malibu Barbie around the dance floor. But they dance to selective songs, songs where he leads her and she (in her form fitting, mini dresses and hooker heels) follows him fraily. It's fabulous!! As the saying goes, "does life imitate art or does art imitate life?" More "imitations" to follow. Who knows, I might even include myself in that!

No comments: