Sunday, November 16, 2008

THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY

Okay, so it's an old movie, what with Jane Fonda in her young days, but it's a movie that frequently comes to mind after a jam packed weekend of dancing. For example, my sister once said that I was like the energizer rabbit, I just keep going and going. I laughed when she said it. But then, one night started with my sister, Chaparra, Joey and myself. The party was on and everyone was prancing all over the floor (some prance a little better than others, though). My sister was the first to leave the dance club so I went to sit by Chaparra and Joey. While I was out on the dance floor, Chaparra signaled to me that they were leaving. I was out there boogying down when my feet began to kill me. Suddenly I realized I had to get the heck out of there. Drenched from all the dancing (not to mention no air in the club), I hobbled out of the club alone. Limping back to my car, which was parked up a hill, I realized that I had been the last of our group to leave that night.
Immediately, THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY, popped into my head. Here I was, after having pranced and been pranced like a horse, limping and in pain, I was finally giving up. Well, you know the old saying, "They shoot horses to put them out of their misery." The perfect image for a limpin' filly to have as she heads back to the car. So what, who cares if my ringtone chimes, "I'm coming up so you better get this party started. Get this party started on a Saturday night."
Anyway, the movie, THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY, is about a marathon that goes on for days and days. People dance while they're sleeping. Dance partners drag their partners around the dance floor to keep from being kicked out of the marathon. I have to admit, I've been dragged around the dance floor myself, though not willingly. One time I was out on the dance floor and someone stepped on the toe of my boot as my partner, unaware,smiled at me and pranced me in the opposite direction. I should say dragged me because I don't think it's possible to prance with just one foot. Again, you can see why they shoot horses. That was in San Jose. Come to think of it, there've been times when we've gone down to San Jose for a concert. Drove back to San Francisco and realized we still had time to get a couple of hours in at the End of the Line.
All I have to say is, I don't care if they shoot horses, I'm gonna keep up the prancing 'til I too drop. I'll think of being put out of my misery later! For the time being, "Have a good time! Have a good time!"

No comments: