Monday, September 29, 2008

The Vampire

In he swaggered, at The End of the Line. Chaparra nudged me saying, "Look at this one." I leaned back from my bar stool to gaze down bathroom row towards the front door. All I could see was the top of his black cowboy hat. He was looking downward. Then he lifted his head and all I saw were his eyes looking at my eyes looking at him. My mind said, "Oh my god, here comes trouble," as I tried to inconspicuously disappear back into bathroom row. Definitely, he was from the Wild, Wild West. If it had been legal, he'd a been wearing a holster on each side of his hips (which, by the way, moved very well on the dance floor). And just as I had suspected, trouble came walking my way as soon as the band chose a song from their large repertoire (which undoubtedly is the reason we wait about 5 minutes between songs!?!?). How could I refuse when he, later to be called "The Vampire," held out his hand, asking me to dance. Chaparra and I smiled at each other as I walked out to the dance floor with the Vampire.
The Vampire would show up every now and then around midnight. And just like a vampire, there was some unidentifiable reason that he would make your heart jump. Just his presence gave the place excitement. He'd lure the women out to the dance floor with his eyes, which were dark, dark black, not having to say a word. Maybe both the cowboy and the vampire hold a romantic image in our psyches. Think about it, and not just with your mind. Don't both the cowboy and vampire elicit something from the body? Maybe it's their proximity to death. The vampire's proximity is obvious. Entrancing their prey in a very titillating way 'til, of course, the kill. Well, the cowboy with his gun-slinging image, saving a damsel in distress, again with a kill in the end. In a way they both evoke romantic images of the night, enveloped in a haze which brings about a surrender. Wow! How can one possibly resist?
And resist, I didn't. Many a night we waltzed, polkaed, and just plain kicked up our heels around "The End of the Line." He'd nibble at my neck while taking the lead on the dance floor. Then he'd twirl his cowboy hat in the air and grita. Your heart would be pumping and you'd feel full of life! Maybe that's what the vampires do. They get your blood rushing, making you helpless, before they move in for the kill! HHHhhhmmm! No wonder we named him "The Vampire"

No comments: